lichess.org
Donate

Racing Kings opening question

What do you think about move 2.Kh3 after 1.Bd4 Be4?
Is it bad enough to lose? How do you think?

Analysing it with an engine, can't make my mind up.
pastebin.com/raw/Z50TCnmK - Racing Kings opening theory, 3 plies deep. :D

Moves that aren't there I believe to be losing. Moves with question signs are a bit bad, but not sure about the result yet.
@centaur02 those are some good questions, keep asking :-)

1.Bd4 Be4 2.Kh3 is completely fine as a drawline. It's less commonly played that 2.Kg3, mostly because there are few positional or tactical advantages to be gained from the opening.
As for your study chapter, I'd argue 4.Qh5 is a bit of an inaccuracy - it's a passive move, committing white to a defensive structure that harms their own development more than it hurts black. I've looked into theory for 4.Kh5 lines before and 4.Bxb2 and both seem to work for white, and still have some potential to be theorized by top players.

As for the pastebin list, it looks pretty good but you're still missing out on a few moves. I'll list a few, but I probably missed an addition or two myself as well. There's always a few suboptimal moves that haven't been properly studied yet.
- 1.Kg3 Kb3 2.Kh4: slightly tricky to prove, but should hold one way or another
- The evaluation for 1.Nxc2 Kb3 2.Nc3 is disputed at the highest level, and although it's probably still a technical draw it does allow white a consistent advantage.
- 1.Bd4 Be4 2.Kh3, but we already discussed that above.
- 1.Bd4 Be4 2.Nd3
- 1.Bd4 Be4 2.Bxb2 is rather questionable, but it's been considered drawish in the past. I couldn't point out the drawn setup for white though if you asked me.
- 1.Bd4 Kb3 2.Rg5, and 2.Rg7 and 2.Rg8 should be solid technical draws as well.
- 1.Kh3 Be4 2.Bd4, but that's another transposition into what the line from your #1 post.
- 1.Kh3 Be4 2.Kg4
- 1.Kh3 Kb3 2.Rg5, as well as 2.Rg7 and 2.Rg8.
- 1.Kh3 Kb3 Kh4, but that's just another transposition into 1.Kg3 Kb3 2.Kh4 which I already mentioned above.
- 1.Kh3 Ka3 2.Rh2 just looks silly, so if that's actually a contender for a drawline then as I mentioned, there's probably more similar passive moves elsewhere in the deeper opening lines.

What do you think? Just post here if you have any follow-up remarks or questions!
I looked at 4.Kh5 line (and 4.Bxb2 line which transposes into 4.Kh5 line, imo) using engine and updated the study with the engine line. (See above the post #2.) It seems to me that black is better and probably winning, based on engine evaluation. Do you have any improvements?

I will take a deeper look at all the opening lines you mentioned and will post analysis/results sooner or later, including the 1.Bd4 Be4 2.Kh3. Thank you!

(And yes, 1.Kh3 Ka3 2.Rh2 looks silly and I would expect it to lose, but I haven't convinced myself yet of that.)
In the same study I am doing some kind of primitive analysis - just entering variants until the black reaches +3 advantage (if they are lucky in the specific variation) and then stopping, basically. I am using Fairy-Stockfish with the latest NNUE network for Racing Kings (from fairy-stockfish.github.io), which is the strongest Racing Kings engine today, afaik.

So far I have convinced myself that four variations (1.Kh3 Be4 2.Kg4, 1.Kh3 Kb3 2.Rg5, 1.Kh3 Kb3 2.Rg7, 1.Kh3 Kb3 2.Rg8) are win for black. But I want to hear your opinions - how can I convince you. :)

What's the best way to refute a variation, basically, so that it's convincing for as many as possible?
- I believe that in the 1.Bd4 Kb3 2.Rg8 variation white achieves draw, a quite nice one with an enjoyable end position.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.