lichess.org
Donate

Opponents stop playing after a bad move

It happens very often to me that opponents stop playing after they lose a piece or run into a bad position. This is very annoying. Especially in the lower rankings less than 1800 elo rating this happens after every third game.
Every time I have to wait for two minutes, when they leave and sometimes up to 4 minutes when they just dont play.
Seriously this is not funny. Is there a posibility to finish interrupted games quicker?
I switched from chessbase to lichess becourse of this beheauvior and now this appears frequently here also.
I myself usually resign after a bad move, because, cmon, this is online chess, you might easily run into an engine, who wouldn't necessary give you a chance to return material back.

As of stopping playing without resigning - just pick a fast time control with big increment. I usually play 3/4+5. If your opponent decides to drain up his time limit, you usually just have to wait no more than 2 minutes.
I dont know how this can be avoided.
It's just very annoying.
Maybe if opponents left the game after 30 sec it is won for the remaining part. Or people can be banned after repeating this beheauvior more than once. I dont have an answer but if this frequently continues I will go somewhere else to play. I also loose sometimes a piece or the hole game very unlucky but I allways resign.
I only play 5 min games.
@Dackelhasser I can understand your frustration. I've had people let their clocks run down in longer time controls eg 10 5 in lost positions instead of resigning. Look, I used a term to describe the behaviour 'let their clocks run down'. Its a common occurrence. It happens on ICC and other chess servers. It even has its own dedicated phrase as I've used twice above.

Lichess developers tried to tackle this when they check for disconnects and if someone doesn't reconnect, then the opponent gets the win. Its harder to know when a person is genuinely thinking and connected and when a person is deliberately trying to annoy you or playing bad loser.

Its part of the game. Most people are good and resign. They just move on to the next game. Some people are sore losers and react badly to losses. See it as a sign of immaturity and that you played well. Block them, report them, and move on.

Making threats that you'll leave this server for another doesn't reflect well on you.
I reported such people twice. I dont know, what happend to them becourse I never get any reply.
As mentioned this happens on many chessites. At the beginning not very often on lichess, but now on every third or fourth game. I guess there shut be something done about it.
I wrote my first message after it happens to me twice in a row.
I simply wish a game would finish quicker after the other player has left.
Anon players often let their clocks run down or leave instead of resigning. Its rude and just play against people that play fair.
I block them but I can't know if my opponent playes fair or not until the game finished.
The number oft such people grows

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.