lichess.org
Donate

Antichess is Getting More Popular. Lichess Sponsored Tournies?

Seems like anti is more popular or as popular as ZH now a days.
Basically whenever I'm on there is a non sponsored tournament going on with a decent amount of people. Sometimes more than the people who are in the Sponsored ZH Tournaments.

One Ends; another is created.

lichess.org/tournament/va8LrI8e
lichess.org/tournament/4Zwf0ar7
lichess.org/tournament/t1hHqg9O

Can only look back 24 hours on tournies but non stop anti nonsponsored; always with a good amt of games.

Just figured I'd point this out; since its getting so popular might want to make it have the continuous sponsored tournaments like Crazyhouse does.
Weekly Players per Variant:
Crazyhouse: 3700
Antichess: 2600
Atomic: 2000

"Anti is more popular or as popular as ZH now a days"

If you take the number of players as a popularity indicator this is not true.
Antichess has been solved. White wins if e3 is played assuming perfect play. The allure of antichess may soon fizzle out just like how checkers did when it was solved.
@Adamantis

I feel like That is a statement commonly made by people who haven't played much; or any; antichess.
Correct me if I'm wrong; but if 0-0-0 on White & Black E3 = Draw.

NTM; as you said; it requires perfect play. E3 without perfection by white can easily become a disaster.

Its not often I come across a 2K+ Player who plays E3. Most play C4 or a variation of that; (G3 then C4 for example)

@andreijl
True, the players overall aren't the same (though the number IS rising; and its not too far away from ZH already)
BUT; the # of ZH players in Tournaments VS the # of Anti players in tournaments is much closer.
And; it would be even closer if they were sponsored.
As; unsponsored tournies dont get half the attention.
Antichess is extremely theory-heavy and will never gain OTB tournament recognition or sponsorship.

Other chess variants (such as Crazyhouse/Shogi and Seirawan) have a chance at international popularity.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.