lichess.org
Donate

Castling mechanics need to change

It should not be possible to castle by clicking on the King and then a Rook. Often one might reconsider and want to move a Rook instead of castling, and it's difficult to remember to first unclick the King, since that is unnecessary in any other situation. I have come into a lot of lousy positions because of these mechanics, and they annoy me immensely. The King is going to g1/8 or c1/8, and to enable castling by clicking a1/8 or h1/8 doesn't make much sense.
I changed the settings to "flytt kongen to felter" (move king two squares), yet if I now click the king and then the rook, I still castle! Why doesn't it work to change the settings?
I'm btw playing on the app for android. I even went in to the settings in the app to see if the change didn't apply to the app. However, the castling method choice doesn't show up in my settings there. Is there no way of escaping these super annoying mechanics in the app?
The "Drag a piece" setting also exists in the app (Settings -> Game Behavior).
Yes, but I'm not interested in that, I like to be able to tap in order to move pieces. Is there a chance that the castling method setting will be implemented in the app at some point?
"I have come into a lot of lousy positions because of these mechanics, [..]"
I doubt that, to be frank.

Solutions:
1. Don't click the king, until you have to move it.
2. Drag the king (or any piece) to an illegal square to unselect it (Lichess streamers do it all the time)
3. Click on any other piece/pawn after you've touched the king

It really isn't that hard
That arrogant reply really didn't address my question. Will alternative castling methods at some point be implemented in the app? I really hope so! I have no use of the "click King then Rook" function, since I only use it when I don't mean to.
Otherwise, I normally do one of the three solutions that is proposed, but it annoys me deeply every once in a while when I accidentally forget.

Basically, there is a mechanic that I never use, that only is a hindrance to me. I would like there to be an option to get rid of it. Should be quite understandable?
You are addressing me like I'm part of the lichess team (perhaps because of the wing symbol?)
Just to be clear, I'm a user just like you, I have no power to get stuff implemented.

And if my reply sounded arrogant, I apologize for that.

I should have added that, how irritating this may be, this really is a minor issue which is easily remedied, so I guess they may pick up on it, but it will probably be low priority, so in the meantime resort to the solutions proposed (and as you've stated in your last post, you already use)

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.