lichess.org
Donate

Good Chess Books to Read

I am wondering about good chess books to read. I am not invested enough to get a coach but I enjoy reading and I can always check it out of the library for free. So if you have any good books or youtube channels about chess etc. Please tell me below!
Conquered, I would most definitely go with the Chess Steps course over the Yusupov course. The chess steps course starts with the elementary tactics, etc. that you need at your level, and gradually and thoroughly trains in all the basics you need to become a good player. The Yusupov course, while stated to be geared for players below 1500 in its first level, actually has far more advanced positions to learn. I have been working through the first book, Build Up Your Chess Vol. 1, and find that many of the problems are simply above my level. (For example, there are numerous difficult, complex tactical shots that even strong GM's fell into). If you work through all of the chess steps through level 3 or 4, you then might be ready to tackle Yusupov's material. I am currently doing level 2 of chess steps to fill in any gaps in my knowledge, and I am going to table the Yusupov course until I have probably finished level 4 of the steps method. Hope this helps.
@Conquered Go through this library of mine. Thank me later. I suggest you start with Irving chernev''s Logical Chess move by move. And Follow with John Nunn's Understanding chess move by move. Come over and beat some guys here in less than a week.
I really like "Predator at chessboard". It explains in plain english the different tactical motifs with a lot of examples, each one with long and clear explanations. It can be purchased on paper or read online: www.chesstactics.org

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.