lichess.org
Donate

Playing Music white Streaming Chess

Wait even if you bought music, it doesn't mean your allowed to stream it. Only for personal consumption or you have to buy a seperate license. Though apple might have different license. They might also logically assume that far to few people with an interest are watching, though some countries like france i believe allow piracy when it comes to music. @AlexanderNiLaUsEn @Chessy64
What about classical music? Is this also illegal to play while streaming? How could this even be enforcible?
@Curious1 it won't be illegal if the studio recorded it in classical times. And i guess they could sue the twitch user for compenstion. But ofc they would have to find out first and chess is not exactly popular.
copyright and licensing is complicated and I don't understand it, so don't take my word for it.

re classical music, the score might be in the public domain, but the performance might not be. You can't play copyrighted performances in public or distribute them without permission.

Theoretically you can play classical performances that are in the public domain, but if you upload it to youtube I guarantee someone who owns a different performance of the same score will report you for copyright infringement, even though you haven't infringed. why? their detection bot is dumb and there are no consequences for them sending you a false report. You'll have to go through the hassle of appealing it, and you might not be successful even though you've done nothing wrong.

I don't think you can buy music from apple, or anywhere, really, you are just buying a license to play the music in private to yourself and not in public.

some people on twitch do play copyrighted music but I don't know how that works. I doubt they upload those to youtube and they might not even be stored on twitch to watch off-line. I don't know though.
so just to confirm if the music has no copyright in its title it is okay to play it on stream even if I do not own it?
#16 i don't think that's correct. all creative works are copyrighted for xx number of years automatically without needing to explicitly say it's copyrighted. so if you're worried about playing copyrighted music, maybe search in google for the terms royalty free music, also creative commons music.

they probably are copyrighted but they have a permissive license that allows you to stream it publicly.
@Curious1

Classical music is out of copyright under these circumstances
IF the author has been dead for at least 70 years,
So Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Chopin etc is 100% LEGAL to use, no one can claim copyright if you use their music and play it yourself!

However if the performer is still alive and not been dead for 70 years the performer can claim copyright.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.