lichess.org
Donate

Contacting players for post game conversation

@Linspiring said in #19:
> Dude, if you're getting so worked up about imaginary insults I think chess might not be for you. I wouldn't be surprised if I see you one day on the news doing a mass shooting because someone played the bongcloud against you in a tournament and won. lol
> Actually that would be fun, I hope we meet in a tournament.

I'm a really curious person, so I'll bite. Why wouldn't you be surprised? Do you not dislike being insulted? All the more power to you if you don't. It surely is a great ability to develop. As for myself, I like to know why people act the way they do. Part of personality.

If we meet on a tournament or in the pool, I hope you play whatever you like. At least I would know why. You would be interested in trolling, which is a valid reason to play the Bongcloud.
@wornaki said in #20:
> This is about doing stuff you know it's bad on purpose (like, playing 1.a4 2.h4 3. Nc3 4. Nb1 5. Nf3 6. Ng1... that kind of play).

So what? If you think your opponent willingly plays something stupid then punish him and win the game.

And with a little bit of guesswork you might figure out why he plays in this manner: Because he thinks that his opening choice (or whatever else you consider stupid) yields good results for him.
My question is... why do you play that? That is my original question. If they reply, then I may or may not share that I find that kind of play to be insulting. But if they don't provide any reply, then nothing comes out of it, which is the most typical scenario.
@wornaki said in #21:
> I'm a really curious person, so I'll bite. Why wouldn't you be surprised?
I wouldn't be surprised because you seem to be a mentally unbalanced person with a big chip on your shoulder. You are looking for insults and reasons to be offended out behind every bush, and that usually doesn't end well. Like I say if you're that angry and it's making you this stressed might be a good idea to take a break from chess.
@Linspiring said in #24:
> I wouldn't be surprised because you seem to be a mentally unbalanced person with a big chip on your shoulder. You are looking for insults and reasons to be offended out behind every bush, and that usually doesn't end well. Like I say if you're that angry and it's making you this stressed might be a good idea to take a break from chess.

Well, thanks for the reply. Fascinating how trying to unveil the motives behind the playing choices of players is a symptom of being mentally unbalanced. I'm not angry, for if I were, I would not be posting here. I'm genuinely curious about why some players decide to play what I consider insulting chess against me. For instance, I now know that if you play the Bongcloud against me, your motivation would be trolling.
Actually being overly sensitive to perceived insults IS a symptom of mental illness. Have you ever been hospitalized? Are you on medication?
Firstly the OP is referring to bullet games, so you are in a time-control that can be used to flag and win on time (by pre-moving)
So known deep theory is useful, but not essential.
Bullet can be useful to try out certain strategies and find novelty moves which you can transpose to classical and rapid games
@Linspiring said in #26:
> Actually being overly sensitive to perceived insults IS a symptom of mental illness. Have you ever been hospitalized? Are you on medication?

Ah... yeah, playing armchair psychiatrist. Very clever ;) I'm so used to healthily dealing with both perceived insults and actual insults that for the past 10 years I have been on a personal quest to know what drives people to dish them. Fascinating stuff, I tell you. This thread itself is a source of information in my quest to understanding. Thanks for contributing to it.
@wornaki said in #28:
> Ah... yeah, playing armchair psychiatrist. Very clever ;)
I don't have to be a psychiatrist to recognize a nutter when I see one.

>I'm so used to healthily dealing with both perceived insults and actual insults
Doesn't look like it from where I stand

> that for the past 10 years I have been on a personal quest to know what drives people to dish them. Fascinating stuff, I tell you. This thread itself is a source of information in my quest to understanding. Thanks for contributing to it.
Now who's playing the shrink?
LOL @Linspiring

Thanks for the engagement. It's been refreshing, since you have replied to my original question, even when it wasn't posed to you after a game. Very nice of you. Now, since this runs the risk of turning into a one on one conversation, I suggest that we follow it up through the message system here. All the best.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.