lichess.org
Donate

Wrong avaluation by Stockfish

Hello!
An hour ago this game was played

I've never seen this before but Stockfish can't evaluate the position correctly. We've found one position: look at move 20. Qa5. After the analysis Stockfish showed no symbols (so, it isn't inaccuracy, mistake or blunder). But if play 20...Rxe3+ then Stockfish will show ... -6.4 and black is winning. But how is that possible??
Stockfish recently updated the evaluation, so now after Qa5 it shows -6.4 but look at the graph and analysis results... We played without blunders but made one blunder both at least? :)
Rxe3 works because of a rook sacrifice: After Kf2 Qh4+ wins despite hanging the rook. The analysis tool checks the game only with a low depth but the winning combination requires a high depth in calculation.
Understand. Depth was 18/22 I thought it's enough, not really...
Thanks a lot :)
When the server did the analysis it apparently did not look deeply enough at 20... Rxe3. It didn't take much longer for the browser SF to find it. And you can see that the deeper it looks at that position the better it gets for black, now at -8.7 at level 36.

The server analysis is understandably quick and shallow. (I posted a request to have the option of doing it to a deeper level on the local browser, but it didn't get much traction.)

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.