lichess.org
Donate

How Can I Make Sure This Never Happens Again

I had mate in 1, slipped on the mouse, and put my queen en prise instead.

AAAAAAAAAAAGH!

I am relatively new to lichess.org.

Is there something I can do to make sure I minimise the chances of this ever happening again? Or is this just a case of 'yeah, that can happen'?

Not interested in 'let me take the move back' requests, because I don't believe in them.
I've lost probably 100 games with mouse slips. I never ask back in bullet or blitz, as I think slips are part of the game, but in rapid or classical I usually will, and they usually give it back. Only other solution is not to play on your phone, but I wouldn't give that up; to hell with the ratings.
You can turn on move confirmation if you want, though it can add a few seconds to each move, so only really suitable for longish games.

If you click on your name then preferences, you will see various settings you can change. Game behaviour (over on left) - scroll down and you will see move confirmation. You can change that to Always.
@conniptions Try asking your opponent to return a bid. I usually go back because it has happened to me and I know how annoying it is. Good luck. Hugs.
Cheers, folks.

It was blitz, and as such, on reflection, yes, part of the game. My bad.

Obviously I will never forget this particular moment as long as I live, but thank you in particular, @nayf, for the wise words. Turns out that yes, it's a thing that happens. Also, in non bullet/blitz I should be perhaps more forgiving about take-back requests, now that I have a significantly deeper understanding of where they may come from.

*continues to growl but more quietly*
If your strategy going forward is to rely on take backs, just realize that lots of people here like to play real chess and thus have take backs disabled, and you won't even be able to request it.
Oh, completely agreed, @Chessty_McBiggins. To be honest, I'm surprised they haven't implemented a 'touch move' thing, where if you click on a piece you MUST MOVE IT. That's how we always used to play IRL.
If you do not use the drag function and rather click/tap the two square you wish to move to and deactivate the ability to drag a piece to a square it's much less likely to happen. Ofc costs slightly more time than drag + drop.
Thanks, @Ranked7billionth. Annoyingly, I already have the drag function disabled. This was a proper slip of the mouse. As I said above, my bad. And as also said above, in blitz, that's part of the game.

Doesn't make it any less annoying though, obviously :)
That annoyance you're feeling is perhaps the single most effective way of greatly reducing the chance of it happening again.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.