lichess.org
Donate

Weird clock behavior in a game.

About a week ago I lost a game where my opponent literally had 1.4 seconds remaining and made TEN moves without any time expiring at all. Not a tenth of a second. This is a physical impossibility yet it happened. Anybody else encounter this sort of thing?
If they were premoves I guess they take no time from the clock
He was making premoves. My understanding is if you make a premove then no time is taken off the clock.
A successful premove here takes no time off the clock, so what you describe can easily happen.

Take a look at this game I just threw out with premoves against the level 8 SF. I didn't lose any time until my 24th move (poor touchpad skills, so botched my premove): lichess.org/Om0YQAAd/white#45
If it's true that premoves take zero time off the clock it should not be legal. After all, in over-the-board chess a human takes at least 0.4 seconds to move and hit the clock. If it can't happen in real life it shouldn't happen here. All chess sites have this premove feature and I think it's an unfair practice. Why should rules for Internet games be any different than rules that hold in face-to-face chess? It's disgusting.
@Eleuthero The sentiment is understandable, but doesn't ultimately hold up.

There are a great many differences between OTB and internet chess; it's just not feasible to roll back all the ways in which they've been different for so long.

All major online platforms have some version of automatic claims (3fold, 50-move), which is not possible OTB.

OTB incorrect draw claims are punished by time penalties, which is not the case online.

OTB illegal moves are always possible, along with the possibility that you get penalized for it if the opponent catches it and the possibility that you get away with it if they don't. All of this is just impossible on all major online platforms.

OTB you always have to hit the clock after your move, while no major online platform requires you to do anything but complete the move of the piece to stop your clock.

OTB enforces touch-move, even in blitz time controls, while no major online platform requires you to move a piece once you've clicked on it.

OTB does not have any setting like auto-promote-to-queen, while all major online platforms support this.

These are a just a few quick examples, and already it is quite clear that if the idea of "correct" online chess is to match OTB in all respects, no current platform does this.

The mechanics of online play are just different than OTB chess, and have been for a very, very long time. It's just different, certainly not disgusting, at least to me (there's no accounting for taste).

Finally, just to be clear, it certainly is possible to move more quickly than 0.4 seconds OTB, even without the common OTB blitz practice of beginning your move as your opponent completes his. It may not be sustainable for many moves, but saying it is physically impossible is just too much :)

@Eleuthero there are tactics to thwart premoves.

your opponent is predicting what move you're going to make and premove based on their prediction, so, make an unpredictable move. Or maybe they don't even care what move you make and are just make safe premoves possibly moving the same piece each move.

1.hang a piece on purpose if it means you can take a piece the move after for free. they aren't likely going to predict you hang a piece so their premove most likely won't capture your hung piece. Of course if your move makes their premove illegal their premove will be cancelled and their clock starts.

2. putting your opponent in check. If they only have a second left and you have enough mating material, sack a piece to put them in check. Their premove will be cancelled and their clock will start ticking while they work out what happened to their premove.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.