lichess.org
Donate

f pawn

If you're gonna castle king side and you move your f pawn, you better be a master.
Not even close to true. Many many games are decided by who is better when the board is loose
In bullet chess, I occasionally play g4/g5 despite having a castled king. It's quite hard to punish in a really fast time control and it can bring out promising attacks.
Hey, if you say so. All I know is, for me, 8 times out of 10 it is the single thing that allows me to crush my opponent. The other 2 it's about 50-50, as usual. So I win about 9 out of 10 games where my opponent tries that.

Of course, like all other self-destructive moves, I have seen more than one master use it wisely and crush me with it.

S' what I'm sayin. You better be a master.
I was thinking about that. Fast time controls might be the exception to the rule, as capitalizing on it takes a minute or two of meditation. It can be effectively used to make the opponent dizzy in faster time controls.
You don't have to be a master to move your f pawn. Especially in closed positions.
I concede closed positions in middle to late middle game are an exception.
I see most of you don't play open Sicilians. Mayor number of lines in them involve either f3 or f4.

Additionally king gambit is quite fine, even if black has many equalizing lines.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.