lichess.org
Donate

Which type of victory is most satisfying to you?

To me it is a game like this one of mine. A very close game where it looks drawish for 30-40 moves then you finally wiggle a pawn or 2 away from them, and finally flag them in a winning endgame that is a semi fortress.

To me a long drawn out close fight feels like more of a win than if you tactically destroy them... or if they simply make a terrible blunder.

That slow grind is much more satisfying isn't it? Not saying it's pretty to look at though... Rather boring to some spectacular sacrificial mating net... It's all about the squeeze though.
I do not want to spoil your satisfaction, but 66...Rf2+ was a terrible blunder as 66...Rf8 holds the draw.
@tpr It doesn't spoil anything. It's much easier to see these things without time pressure after a game in analysis. They were too low on time to calculate very long as you see they ran out of time a few moves later.
It is a well deserved win, but as you ask about satisfaction, I would not be so satisfied because he missed a clear draw. Maybe there is no objective measure of satisfaction. I incline to say that satisfaction is measured by how well the opponent played. To win you need some mistake by your opponent. The more subtle this mistake, the more satisfying the win.
I have the most fun when I play like a lunatic; and then my opponent matches my lunacy. It doesn't happen often; but when it does it is absolutely hysterical. Usually happens on bullet.
Heres a good example of what I mean. This game is so freakin silly hahaha. Both me and my opponent were very entertained.

I feel the most satisfied if I find a forced draw in an otherwise lost position. Since your question was asking about wins, I feel the most satisfied winning when I get to make the K+R vs K checkmate. It was the first one I had learned when I was starting chess.
I was dead chuffed at seeing the mate in 5 if Black took on h1 in this tournament Blitz game. He took, I mated! It was particularly pleasing as I'd spent some time recently looking at mating positions with R+N+pawn(s), so I actually got to feel I'd learnt something and applied it successfully!

I dont actually mind whether its a victory, draw or loss.

My most satisfying game was v IM Rosen in a simul, but a lot of it was me v him because of how long it took.

Since then ,ah well lots of loony blunders :(

what type of victory, depence of my mood, one who involves
combinations perhaps, I like to checkmate, I dont know im getting back to the game again, so I need to refresh the patterns,
technical win can be nice too but today I would rather get a combination, some type of geometry, something aesthetic

I like unexpected wins I guess, because if I see it beforehand
its less exciting I suppose, one that involves a fight,
an equal fight more or less, an imbalanced position so that there is a game and not just theory, combos dont know that type of thing.
I dont know I just want to play, I just want to move the pieces
I feel alive when I play chess, it increases my energy, dont know why but It does
Imo what I like about chess is that u have an opponent
this may look rather silly, but since i ve composed some puzzles it gets kind of tiring to play only oneself its not the same
in puzzles u dont have that concept of victory u just have the concept of resolving the puzzle or the aesthetics of it, so its not the same, it has some advantages but its less sport
Im sleepy now but I prefer chess than puzzles I believe because the game is longer because with one game of chess We could write a whole book, we dont even have to paint the board anymore, it has its own advantages just move the pieces,
for equations that Ill write some equations I think that ill rather take chess, its easier in that regards its more well suited but dont take too seriously whatever I say because after all I blunder but I think that eh I dont know what but eh I like the tempo basically, its relaxing.
Unexpected victory,
Victory needs always to have a celebration, otherwise it does not look like a victory, if the victory is important there has to be a good celebration because otherwise there is a mismatching which makes the victory look like a defeat, this is mathematically interesting but not very humane.
Shared victories are the best victories, because if u win alone
it does not feel like a win at all, so u need, the stadium, the party
the girls, the beers that type of things.
THose are the real victories, victories with celebrations.
Imo is almost more important the celebration than the victory
but perhaps im drunk today.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.