lichess.org
Donate

Lichess v2 is coming

I see. Indeed, OSX 10.8 is 7 years old. Apple dropped support for it, and so did Firefox and Chrome. And now lichess does too, sorry :(

We know that we're leaving some old computers in the dust. The reason we do it is that it allows a hundred times more mobile users to discover lichess. Especially chess players in developing countries, who rarely can afford a computer, but already have a mobile device.

I'm very sorry, that's a choice we made, and we'll stick to it.

I would like to add that you are taking a lot of risks by browsing the Internet with such an old OS and browser. Upgrades are necessary for your safety. I know you don't have a choice, but... just be very careful. I would never enter a password on your computer, let alone credit card info.
Oh, also, you don't need the latest computer hardware to use lichess v2.

A second-hand, entry-level computer from 4 years ago will do perfectly. That shouldn't be incredibly expensive I think.
"We know that we're leaving some old computers in the dust. The reason we do it is that it allows a hundred times more mobile users to discover lichess. Especially chess players in developing countries, who rarely can afford a computer, but already have a mobile device.

I'm very sorry, that's a choice we made, and we'll stick to it."

How dare you prioritize developing countries over ours! Why couldn't you support my out of date browser and avoid appealing to the poorer, common folk? :'( (Sarcasm should be obvious)
What happens in this forum reminds me of chess.com when they decided to upgrade to version 3. Users with old computers started to panic!
The owners of chess.com finally understood that they would lose members and kept both versions (2 and 3) for a long time.
Lichess , don't hurry!
@thibault
"The reason we do it is that it allows a hundred times more mobile users to discover lichess."

That argument seems somewhat flawed to me, since lichess has a beautiful mobile app which has nearly all the features the site has. There are even links on the website for people who view with a mobile device to get the app, so it seems to me that everybody who will discover lichess now would also have discovered it with this version. I therefore feel that the sacrifice you're making by dropping support for older technologies is not really worth it.
@thibault Hey . my laptop is 12 years old ((it's as old as hell and very slow .
chrome is on it ---Version 73.0.3683.86 (Official build), (32 bit). I do not understand the technique and programs.

Is my iron ready to meet a new lichess or will I have to go to the store for a new one? thank
#150 You might want to consider a bootable USB stick with some Linux distro. It's never a good idea to use an outdated, unsupported OS.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.