lichess.org
Donate

How did you eventually stopped dropping pieces

When I first started I had trouble playing 30 30. I cannot even imagine trying to play 10 0 at your level.

When playing there's also something tedious and humbling you have to do. Play the move you want to play in your mind. Now look at literally every single possible move and ensure that you're not hanging any material. Expect to spend a substantial amount of time on each and every move just going through this process. But the cool thing is that as you do it more and more, it eventually starts to become subconscious and you'll be able to do it without even thinking. And it's at that point you can start to enter into the more fun and enjoyable aspects of strategy and tactical thought.

Also that's the point that I'd recommend starting to hit the tactics hard. This simple goal will help develop your board vision, but tactics help you develop your creativity and see ideas instantly that otherwise you'd likely never see even if you spent a week pondering a position.
@OhNoMyPants
So If I understood correctly. Your advice is to pick a candidate move (which is also something I don't know how to do but I guess it will come with time) and play all possible opponents responses in my head to see if I missed something? IS that what you're advising me? Pretty hardcore but I guess the only way. This would take me and hour or more for a normal game.
Not really a candidate move, but rather THE move you've decided you're definitely going to play. And then you don't really have to analyze each and every move, but make sure you're not missing anything very straight forward in a 1-move type idea. For instance you want to move your f3 knight, but it turns out your knight was defending a pawn on e5, which would now be hanging.

So it's basically a quick check to ensure that, against every single move, you're not just somehow leaving something en prise or other such mistakes.
OhNoMyPants, what are your thoughts on correspondence chess for improvement? Like have a few correspondence games running at the same time and once per day spend 10-20 minutes on a move for each game in order to exercise calculation and visualization.
Do not play bullet or blitz; only rapid and classical.
Take your time to think.
Switch on move confirmation.
Think about your move, then make your move, then check it is no blunder, then confirm.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.