lichess.org
Donate

Feature request: Disable check/checkmate enforcement

I enjoy watching @ChessWhiz streams of obscure variants, for example one variant called "Molasses Chess" where pieces may only move one square at a time, and another called "Swirl Chess" where pieces can only move clockwise around the board. However the check rules interfere with playing the variants since it enforces check even when there shouldn't be a check according to the variant rules.

I was thinking a mode that disables check/checkmate (and maybe stalemate?) enforcement and just ends the game by capturing the king would be relatively easy to program and make it a lot easier to play these variants in friendly matches (where players trust each other to obey the rules).

Cheers!
That would be very helpful! We need the king to be treated like a regular piece. I have lots more ideas that this would be made possible with this mode. :-)
You could just play antichess for these weird variants where kings are not royal.
... and where captures are forced.

Actually, I think a shared board editor would be even greater. I've requested this before, but to no avail...
It would be even greater, but I think it's a bigger feature. "Don't enforce check/capture of king" would still get us a long way.
The almighty creator is already aware of this feature request, and replies that other features in the making will benefit more people, so this one has lower priority.
We must increase the net good by the greatest degree possible.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.