lichess.org
Donate

Why are Classical players rushing too much?

Why don't they just go ahead play blitz then? I've played several matches here and on most of my victories my opponents had over 12 minutes left on their clocks. Some of my opponents were clearly stronger than me and I'm sure that they would've defeated me if they just took their time to make a move. Do people play classical just because it's less stressful for them or what?
@Griffith-kun I've been wondering about that too. Sometimes, they even get mated while having More Time than they started with, which is crazy tbh.
Losing on time is one of the main difficulties of bullet chess. Certainly my rating in shorter time controls would be higher if I didn't get so short on time so often (and I play with increment!).

Conversely, using all of your time effectively is one of the main difficulties of standard chess. Certainly, many people would have higher ratings if they weren't in such a rush (and they might even play with increment!).
manage the time allocated to you wisely and enjoy when your opponent can't...
@Griffith-kun People get used to play Blitz and Bullet online and unfortunately the bad habits of hurry-moving without blunder-checking transfer to Classical chess. This is the reason why it is generally not recommended to play much in fast time controls if you want to progress in chess.

And sometimes it is even not just bad habits, but the lack of Classical time management skills at all.
I do that. You play thousands of bullet games and you can't adjust. You become inpatient. Especially when you play a lower player. You spend the whole time thinking * just make a bloody move *. Some people are just playing Classical just for the sake of it. I was, and probably won't play it again. Overall though I actually find the opponents there much softer than in Blitz but don't know why that is.
How can you have excactly 2000 rating in 4 diff categories? This seems unlikely.
Yes, there's a lot to do with impatience. It seems classical players are more casual in average (although games might be rated) and I would guess a lot of people just choose classical because it means "infinite time" for them, "play at will".

You should only play classical if you are willing to find the best move of your life on every turn. Much like real classical tournaments.

@robotrock That was rickrenegade's mission since long, then he stopped playing rated for those categories.
Match to players together and don't use a clock. The players will probably average out at equal speeds of playing their moves.

Put a clock into play and one player will want to dominate the clock. What happened to the chessboard? The number one priority became the clock. The chessboard came in second.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.