lichess.org
Donate

Sugestion to make it faster to select and move

I waste time by clicking on the piece i want to move then clik on the square i want to move to. Would be faster if i could just have mouse cursor on the square i want to move and select the pice with keyboard. would be just two fast click without having to move the mouse so much.

What if the rooks, bishop, knights was marked 1 and 2, (or a b ) and one could have one key on keyboard that selected like rook1 and another for rook2, and one key for king, another for queen.

like w and s could select rook1 and rook2, e d select bishop 1 2, etc , r f for knights, t - queen, g - king.

1 to 8 could select the pawns, if you have two pawns on 4 you hit 4 one time for the front pawn and 4 again for the pawn behind.

then you have one key for each pice. One could just have hand on the wert keys and quickly select the pice one want.

I
Thats how you can play in rts games, instead of selecting the pice with mouse, you have a quick key for every class of "pices" or group of pieces.
My version:

No clicks. Hover over the destination square and press a key.
8 keys to select the direction of the move.
2 keys for knight moves.
@Vempele, yeah, I think your version is great. Also it would work, when there are more than two pieces of one kind on the board. How will we distinguish knights?
lichess.org/editor/8/8/8/2b5/4N3/3N4/8/8_w_-_-
For example, in this position?

Clicks should be optional, though. Because, for example, if we are low on time and wait for our opponent's move and we need to move our queen from a1 to either g7 or h8, we can preselect upper right direction, and then just immediately click g7 or h8 after we see our opponent's move. It's also faster, because gaming mouse has immediate reaction on a click (1000/second), and keyboards often have refresh rate of 100/second, or 80/second.

The problem I see, though, compared to my variant (lichess.org/forum/lichess-feedback/feature-request-using-keyboard-for-selecting-pieces#4), is that in time scrambles, when we need to move a queen, for example, throughout the board in different directions, we would have to constantly change the direction on the keyboard. It would be faster to just have one key pressed and move the queen just by clicking final destinations. So maybe a combination of both could be possible.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.