lichess.org
Donate

People that timeout instead of resigning

^
that idea is pretty hilarious, but I dont think the devs would go out of their way to implement that
Not hilarious at all, actually the only thing that makes sense. The way to finally implement something like that is very simple and actually very precise: 5 reports in the last 100 games and you get on that "sewer pool" for the next 100 games along with a warning. Also, no arenas. Two reports on that pool and the countdown to get out of that pool gets back to 100. They deserve each other, let them stay there forever. I am 100% sure that false positives reports will be down to less than 0.1%. The timings of most of these creeps are so obvious: They stop playing (till their time reaches zero) exactly at the moment that they blunder material for nothing or they see that they are getting mated in the next one or two moves. A few of them even announced it to me! One said "watch me" and he started playing in another browser! I could see his other game by pointing the mouse at his name. Why is that even possible? Playing two games at the same time? The bottom line: For humans, players that are having connection problems or are just thinking a long time to find a move are so obvious to distinguish from those leaving the game and going to facebook, to the bathroom, or whatever, instead of resigning, just to annoy the opponent, that the perfect solution is a nice big button to make a one-click instant report. It would solve this kind of problem forever. Put it on the capable hands of the players, and no one will complain anymore about this problem. Players will have to be well educated ( = resign lost games ) or will get expelled to the time-drainer’s pools.
I wish I already had that one-click report button:

Look at the move times: He let his time run down 47 seconds on a 60 seconds game! Does anyone have any doubt that he would get more than 5 reports in 100 games?
Of all the time controls to worry about 1 minute is probably among the least of our worries don't you think? Waiting 15 minutes in a Classical time control is worse if you ask me. You want to get up and walk away too, but since he's still online you have to stay there and wait it out.
You are missing a couple of important points:
1) Since the weight of the report would be the same both on 1 0 and 15 0, it would be a lot faster to get rid of them, so, reporting them on 1 0 can protect you from playing them on 15 0. Besides:
2) After 30 idiots draining down to zero an average of 30 seconds in each game, in just one week, as it happened to me, that makes 15 full minutes wasted, right? I can't stand that kind of idiots anymore, even if it's only 1 0 games. And guess what? That's why I stopped playing 15 0 games altogether, but now I feel that it doesn't matter the time control, it's just that in 1 0 games they make you lose a lot of time in bunches of games. It's becoming epidemic, and expected, and growing. Many times I can tell to myself “Well, he was really winning and was expecting me to resign, now he saw that he blundered and is getting mated in one, not counting spite checks, so I am sure that he not thinking anymore, he is just letting the time run down…” and many times, unfortunately, I'm right.
maybe is just me but if your opponent let his clock run out thats only hurting him. u going to win at the end of the game. it could only be so bad if u are playing longer time control which idk why anyone would play longer time control online.

i didn't like the implent of rule that u can get temp banned if u let your clock run out so often.. which to me the clock is like part of the game like getting checkmated. also some players let their clock run out because it hurt them like making a blunder on a winning position or having play equal game for 39 moves and on the 40th move a careless mistake that cause the game etc so many reasons why your opponent would let his clock run out.

So here my suggestion instead of like a temp banned i would have like on a certain time the autobot will auto resign your opponent if he haven't moved.

example if you are playing 60 min game if your opponent haven't moved for 10 min than he get a 10 sec count down after he still hasn't make a move , the auto bot will resign and give u a win.

so like 3 min games if u dont move for 1 min 15 sec u will get 10 sec count down and if u dont move by than u get auto resign. that would i believe solve this issue. lets be honest chess is more than just a game for a lot of us. i dont like the temp banned idea. thats just too cruel. losing chess impact a chess player deep inside your heart and mind and soul. is more than just a fun game to a lot of us.

also like makropoulos say it could affect lichess in a bad way like some players might start leaving the site if they are getting banned for letting their clock run out which is a silliest way to even get banned on chess online.

all in all that makes a cheaters that hasn't got caught cheating look really good on this site.

tldr: new implent rule of getting temp banned if u let clock run out is a silly thing, really not needed , and can affect lichess in a bad way more so than positive thing.

sorry for my english is not my language
This kind of autoban means, there is actually a second clock, for which I have to take care.
I would hate that!
I want to use my time, as I like, and I play longer time controls, because I do not want to have to think about time, while I am thinking about my move.
Both #16 and #17 missed the point entirely. 1) I'm not talking about ban, I'm talking about putting people who let their time run down to ZERO on purpose on the same pool, meaning that they can only play against each other for the next 100 games. For that, they would need to get 5 reports on their last 100 games. 2) It's 100% fine to use all the time in the clock to think. GMs do it all the time. In a 60 minutes initial time game with an inc. of 20 secs./move it's OK to use the entire sixty minutes to make a move, no one will ever report anybody for that. You can always think for any amount of time you want. Got it now? The only problem is if, for example, you were winning and right after you blunder your queen, with 10 minutes left on the clock, you let the entire time run down just to annoy the opponent, instead of resigning. See the difference? Players KNOW EXACTLY when someone is actually thinking of just letting the time run down, not intending to make any more moves in the game, just because they are angry and want to harm the opponent in a very childish, uneducated and offensive manner. Example: In the famous Steinitz x Bardeleben 1895 game, instead of resigning, Bardeleben left the tourney room, not intending to come back, pinning his opponent to the table till his time ran down. He should be banned forever; there is no excuse for that kind of bad behavior. You can google it.
@BrazilBear this isn't even your post, why are you saying people are missing the point so often? People are discussing the different ways they see the issue.
#13 What's the point of a 1-click report button when Lichess automatically reports such games?

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.