lichess.org
Donate

The boring open games

So I am an aggressive player. If I am white, I prefer e4 over d4 (except if am playing much stronger opponents, my best frend London System comes to help me). But the problem with e4 is e5, which is played 90% of all the time, and after Nf3 comes Nc6, which makes the position already really boring. Italian game is mostly transformed in to hyperboring two knights defence, or a bit less boring Gioco Piano. Ruy Lopez is complicated. Rarely I can pull off something like Frankenstein-Dracula variation (for white), but most of the time the position stays as boring as it was. And if it gets boring, I start to play hyperaggresive - I played Haloween Gambit copule times with a different success, and that is one of the reasons, why I can't crack the 2000 barier yet.
I like castling opposite sides, when I am attacking, so as white, if my opponent is not going for French or Pirc I am castling queenside (for black the Albin Countegambit is also pretty funny), and after e5 Nf3 Nc6 i am plaing scotch to do that (I have a study about it, for those of you, who are interested. But Scotch also got boring, I had more than a 100 games, which were comletely dentical up to move 10, which is pretty sad. So I was wondering, what could i do instead Nf3. Kings Gambit is not something i want to play on a regular basis, because it mostly requires a sacrifice, which can lead to nothing. But then I found a solution - the Alapin opening. It is an usual one, but not an irregular, and totally playable for white. So now I am thinking to make it my main opening, and I am starting to study the variations.
I Would appreciate a help from anybody, who has some experience with it.
I have experience with "I'm an aggressive player, good moves are boring, and hyperaggressive moves are losing".

Imo the answer to that is to start finding good moves not boring anymore, and to learn to like the aggressive ideas that appear at move 15 (late I mean). Because, you just can't get an agression going in all of your games, if your opponent doesn't let you (i.e. plays good blocking moves).

If you can't find that in you, they I'd advise you to keep playing hyperagro. I know of someone a bit stronger than me (so ~2200 blitz around here) who played the halloween gambit on a regular basis. OTB, in classical games, irrespective of opponent strength.

Also try the Medusa gambit for black 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g5 !
(see for example www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-openings/medusa-gambit-madness-1d4-nf6-2c4-g5)
–2.Nc3 / 3.f4
–Scotch Gambit
–2.Bc4
–Four–Knights with 4. a3 / 4. h3

The "most aggressive" opening I could think of is 1. e4 e5 2. Qh5.
If you're close to 2000, you managed to stop playing that all the time.
Now just go one step further. ;)
The Alapin opening can be more boring (after 2...Nf6) than the two-knights defense. It is sound but not ambitious. If you are counting on 2...d5 to make the game exciting, you will be disappointed more than half of the time. I would recommend the Alapin to a positionnal player with some experience in the Vienna game.

Sargon's suggestions point out at several options that seem to meet your original criteria, especially the Vienna game (where you can alternate between 3.f4 and 3.Bc4) and the Scotch Gambit (that transposes often to an interesting subvariation of the two-knights, where you don't have to follow the same line each time ; alternating between the e5-push, the main line and the c3-0-0 line is an idea).
If you adopt the Scotch Gambit, consider the move order 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.Nf3 Nc6 4.Bc4 in order to avoid the Petroff (2.Nf3 Nf6).

If you're after more durable tensions during the game, then it's time to switch to 1.d4. It is definitely not less agressive than 1.e4, it all depends on the particular lines you will choose. The Botvinnik gambit (1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Nc3 e6 5.Bg5 dxc4) is perhaps the most agressive variation that was ever played (certainly in the top 5 ex aequo). The Saemisch King's Indian qualifies for any attacking repertoire, etc...

This does not enter into the theory of the Alapin opening, but at the same time I think that it adresses your original concern. Yet it might not be the answer you were hoping for. I didn't want to dwelve into the positional lines of the Alapin before being sure that it is your real question...
<Comment deleted by user>
Play some 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bc4 which is a strange move as black continues 4. ... Nxe4 5. Nxe4 d5 and now he/she will have the bishop pair or an extra pawn - take note of your position and how to deal with it. Perhaps not the most aggressive but definitely not boring.

Or go for the Ruy Lopez which is very aggressive and exchange your bishop for your opponent's knight for some imbalances. I'm sure you know it but just in case 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 and have some fun.
All the good opening suggestions have already been made.. I'd like to give a friendly suggestion to you though; do what I did when I was about 13 - drop the hyperaggresive style and start learning how to play good positional chess, and also learn your endgame technique. I know that's not what you wanna hear, but that will give pretty good results in the long term.
#8 the Ruy Lopez is known to be one of the most boring openings for an e4 player

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.