lichess.org
Donate

how do you write a text sounding old school?

There's always Chaucer.
High school English,that guy used to boggle my brain when I read him and hurt my tongue when I had to recite him .

Beowulf is another.
@teachmewell said in #1:
> for an irrelevant reason I am supposed to adjust a text into making it seem old. From what i know, some words like for or thee are used for different purposes, thee or thy being for the and for as a synonym for as.
> However, it does not seem to ne all.
> I know that some translations tend to use a poetic language, splendid knowledge for me, since I am terrible at poetry.
>
> Has anyone got an idea on how to?

Post an example here and I will do it. I mean an example of an original text. Post the one you are supposed to adjust if you are allowed to do it.
@teachmewell said in #1:
> for an irrelevant reason I am supposed to adjust a text into making it seem old. From what i know, some words like for or thee are used for different purposes, thee or thy being for the and for as a synonym for as.
> However, it does not seem to ne all.
> I know that some translations tend to use a poetic language, splendid knowledge for me, since I am terrible at poetry.
>
> Has anyone got an idea on how to?

You can do it like this, I made an olde english translation of an article where one was wearing airpods in a tournament violating its policies.

Hark ye, fellow countrymen! A most unfortunate event hath occurred at the World Junior Chess Championship in Olbia, Italy. The Indian Woman Grandmaster Priyanka Nutakki hath been expelled from the tournament for naught but an honest mistake. It seems that during a routine check, she was found to have wireless earbuds in her jacket pocket, which are strictly forbidden in the playing hall. Though there is no indication of foul play on her part, the fair play policies of the game dictate that carrying such devices during a match is a punishable offence. Thus, the point scored by Nutakki in the sixth round has been awarded to her adversary, Govhar Beydullayeva. The Indian delegation hath since filed an appeal, but to no avail.

Priyanka Nutakki, who began the event as the eighth seed, had scored four points in the first five rounds with three wins and two draws. She won the sixth round as well, but her victory was overturned due to this unfortunate incident. The fair maiden herself hath explained that she had taken a walk in the morning and left the earbuds in her jacket, which she had then subconsciously taken to the tournament hall. Alas! She had forgotten that the earbuds were in the jacket, and it was only during the random security check that she realized her mistake. Though she takes full responsibility for her error, Priyanka assures us that there was no foul play on her part.

Friends, let us not forget that Priyanka Nutakki is a talented player, with an ELO rating of 2326. She was the top-rated Indian at the championship in the girls section. Let us not allow this one incident to define her. She has sincerely apologized to her family, coach, federation, friends, and supporters for this honest mistake from her side. She promises to work harder and come back stronger. Verily, let us support her in her future endeavors, and hope that she may soon return to the game.
@chessfan124
That is certainly not Old English. It's a formal dialect of Modern English.

This is an example of Old English text, for comparison:

Hwæt. We Gardena in geardagum,
þeodcyninga, þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas. Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden, he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan. þæt wæs god cyning.
@clousems said in #16:
> @chessfan124
> That is certainly not Old English. It's a formal dialect of Modern English.

OK here it is in old english, surely it's what OP was requesting! I mean.I found it difficult to translate ones like "wireless earbuds" or "ELO" so I put them directly:

Gehyrað, geferan! Swiðost ungemetlice byrnð þone yfelan gebyrd þe geweorðode on Ólbia, Italialand, on þam ceapan þære Iunga Cæmpionfestunge on Garsecgan. Se ðegn Priyanka Nutakki, yldestre mægðe and miclan wyrhtan, wæs þaða forwurpen of þam gemote for anre neawislicere mistlicnesse. Hit gelamp þæt on þam gewonlican geþeode, þa wearð on cennunge geondyddod, þæt heo beheold wireless earbuds on hire gyldenre gydenbyrde, þa þe sind sotlice forboden on þam plegerecede. Ac þeah þær nære nan gewitnes on hire agenum misdæde, god oferhyda gebied þæt þæt bæron þyllice þing on þam gemote scyldig wæs. Swaþeah, þæt seofota scyldung of Priyanka wæs gefremed þam Beydullayeva, þe heo gegyrnede ongean.

Priyanka Nutakki, þe ongan þas þing mid þam ehtan sæd, hæfde gefaren feower þing on þam fyrmestan fif cempian, þurh þreo sige and twegen gelome. Heo had wunnen þæt seofota þing mid, ac þæt wæs gewend þurh þis yfelan gebyrd. Seo cyninglice mæden self hæfde geswutelod þæt heo þaða gegangen wære on þam morgen and lefte þære earbuds in hire gydenbyrd, þe heo þæt þonne ongytenlice to þam gemote hallan hæfde genumen. Eala! Heo hæfde gefergeten þæt þær wæron þa earbuds in þam gydenbyrde, and hit wæs ana on þam tyd þæt heo hit gemynte. Þeah heo full gewealden hæfde on hire agenre mistlicnesse, Priyanka beboda us þæt þær nære nan eglæwung on hire agenum dæde.

Freond, læt us ne forgietan þæt Priyanka Nutakki is micel wyrhtan, mid anre ELO-rædinge of 2326. Heo wæs þære yldestre India þara cempian on þære gydenbyrdlican cempian. Ne læt us þæt ane yfelan gebyrd onwennan hire. Heo hæfð ælce riht on þam andgyte þæt heo hæbbe acsod hire cyn, laera, and gefetunge, freondum, and hyrsumum for þisum anum neawislicum miste. Heo gehet þæt heo wyrce heardor and cwicor. Soðlice, læt us hyran and hyran hire on hire tocoman.
#16,

The similarities between Old English and Icelandic are striking, no?

I’ll never understand Icelandic pronunciation. E.g., Vatnajökull is pronounced something like “Vat’na’yo’koosh.” How they ever got “oosh” from ull is beyond me.* (And I thought much of English wasn’t phonetical. [“Thought” is actually a great example.]) . . .

* Of course, it was probably spoken before it was written. In which case, how they ever got ull from “oosh” is still beyond me. ̄\_(ツ)_/ ̄
Actually using correct grammar, spelling, capitalization, all that stuff. Like, “How are you? I’m fine. I just met Bob.” then, “How ru?im fine just hung with BoB”

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.