lichess.org
Donate

Correspondence games

Hello,

My buddy got me playing some correspondence. As I think at least some of these games are nice, I decided to post them here. Some games are filled with mistakes, some not. But overall there is a lot of wild positions. It would also be nice to hear some thoughts for these.

First some sicilian. Blundered winning position away. But just look at the activity after my 16. Nc5!

Here I faced Pirc. Very wild after 4. g4. Short this one, because opponent blundered. But I had great position allready at that time.

I allowed my opponent to play Marshall. There was no danger for me at all I think and I ended up enjoying my extra pawn.

For this, all I say is that French is off board for me, at least for a while. Just pure torture.

Some weird Nd5 sicilian. Resulted in my opponent trading 2 pieces for the rook and 2 pawns + no castling for me.

I ended up outplaying him in the endgame. Bishop, knight and rook were just killers here.

Here is all for now. I might post more games later.

It is difficult to comment on correspondence games. If you spent 3 days per move, then how can we comment rapidly. I try anyway.

Game 1 B90 Najdorf
16...Nc5 gives black excellent play indeed.
22...Rh6 just loses pawn f5 for nothing.

Game 2 B07 Pirc
11...g5? is horrible: black's whole army gets repelled.

Game 3 C89 Marshall
16...Be4 trades the powerful bishop for no reason. Better 16...Bc7 preserving the bishop's pair.

Game 4 C12 French
Nothing to blame on the opening. Black was OK.
17...Kg8 is weak: the king is no better at g8 than at f8. Better 17...b4, attacking the position of the white king. 18...hxg5 is even worse: it opens the file and fuels white's attack. Better 18...b4 counterattack.

Game 5 B54 Sicilian
15 O-O-O does not bring the white king to safety and loses pawn a2.
17...h6 weakens rather than strengthens the position of the black king. Better 17...Bb3 with nasty threats against the white king and still a pawn up.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.