Free online Chess server. Play Chess now in a clean interface. No registration, no ads, no plugin required. Play Chess with the computer, friends or random opponents.
Sign in
Reconnecting
  1. Forum
  2. Off-Topic Discussion
  3. 1300 Points

I've just reached 1300 points from about 1200, after grinding a lot :) Do you suggest any strategies or something for after-1300? Should I do something other than playing? I think it is getting harder and more serious, maybe you can give me some advice: Thanks in advance!

Solve puzzles , see some studies , analyse your games and why blundered ? And what was the better continuation, and difintly you will be better, but of course every thing need some time, good luck

Thx <3

Welcome

May be tried to play with higher rating player to check your level

I've had a look at some of your games, and adapted the advice I usually give to lower rated players for you on that basis. I'm assuming your goal is to improve more rapidly than you have been, but to still mostly have fun playing.

On YouTube John Bartholomew's series "Chess Fundamentals" shows systemic errors that lower rated players often make, and gives some advice on avoiding them. ChessNetwork also has a series on youtube, "Beginner to Chess Master", that introduces concepts of positional play, and on how to start thinking like a chess player. Both are worth watching.

If you haven't done the exercises under Lichess' Learn->Practice menu yet, you should.

You really need to slow down your play, and make use of your time. Particularly, look for hanging pieces, and make sure you are not putting your own pieces in jeopardy when you move them. At the moment you appear to have little sense of danger. You often hang checkmate on the back rank, or on f2/f7. For example:https: //lichess.org/3XN1I0aq/black#12 where you have just achieved self-mate while only using a total of 8 seconds on the clock. Fortunately for you your opponent missed 7.Qxf7#. Rapid is a reasonable time control, there's enough time for some thought. But you might consider playing some 15 minute games, or playing with an increment, so you can think a little deeper, exercise a little more care. If your goal is deeper understanding of chess you might want to play some classical time control games. Not blundering pieces and not blundering mate should be enough to increase your rating a couple of hundred points or more.

Use your opponent's time to look for strengths and weaknesses in the position. Try to predict what they will do. At the beginning of your turn, ask yourself "What's their threat?" Before you move you should have scanned the board for forcing moves you can make, and that your opponent can make on their next move. You should know every piece that is attacking and every piece that is defending the square you are about to place a piece on, and if that sum favours you, or favours your opponent. You should know if your king is safe, if your opponent's king is safe, if any pieces are hanging, and what you intend to do about it.

Keep practising tactics, but take your time over them. The goal is to improve calculation, visualisation, imagination, and sense of danger. Don't move until you think you've worked the problem through to the end. If you get a problem wrong don't go on to a new one until you know why you were wrong. You can use the analysis board for this. You will do less problems in total, but get more benefit from them.

Start looking at some simple endgame studies, or videos on endgames. Saint Louis Chess Club have some good ones.

Analyse your own games when you finish them. When you are doing this look for things that habitually go wrong in your games. Go over them quickly, and briefly, when you've just finished them and they are still fresh in your mind. Do it first without help from stockfish. Try to work out what went wrong, what went right, and why. Then you can ask for computer analysis, and follow points of interest to greater depth. It also pays to go over your games a second time maybe a week or two later.

If you are interested in improving your playing strength @CaptainRex1911 is giving very good advice. It is hard to improve much playing only players of your standard or lower. General thought on improving at chess suggests you should be doing about 70% active training (playing serious games, doing tactical exercises, creating studies/reviewing your own games, doing guess the move exercises) and about 30% passive learning (books, videos, other peoples studies)

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for your advice

I think it will help, thank you for all :) You are right. I am ruining games very often. I will study on them more. And I will try to look at all this "stuff".

Wow holy crap! It's about 1400 now :D Really thanks!

Congratulations. :)

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.