lichess.org
Donate

Factor in Average Opponent to Lichess Top 100 (trophies)

On lichess I have met a lot of people with inflated ratings... People who have a high rating, usually +2200 but have deliberately played lower rated opponents to get there, so they an average opponent of 1700 or less for that variant. And often do this over 1000s of games.

Is there any way for lichess to snuff this practice out so that people in the top 100 trophies cannot get there with greatly inflated ratings?

My suggestion to do this would be to make it so they have to have a top 100 rating and have to have an average opponent within a certain percentage of the top 100 in order to get the trophy.

That is my suggestion.

Thank you
This would hit players who participate a lot in tournaments as they will play often with lower rated players. For example take penguin. Right now he has a 3000 bullet rating with an average opponent of 2315. This is about 150 points away from Top 100 and about 400 from Top 10. Where to draw the line?
I agree its a matter of judgement, as the very top players have to play a lot lower rated players. However, also a lot of lower rated players get into the top 100 of their respective variant by avoiding higher rated players. I'm not sure there is a solution but if a measure was introduced it would have to have balance of course.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.