lichess.org
Donate

Could we have U1500/1700/2000 bullet tournaments?

I'm getting killed in every bullet session because everyone is so much better than me :(
You can create some if you want.
It would be nice if there were some so weaker players have a chance and are not crushed every time, a progression of overlapping rating ranges starting at 800 would be nice.
I wanted the same thing before, now you can create a tournament with rating limitations and notify the lichess team so they can help you promote the tourney. However, I think it's better to stick to u1700 or hourly bullet because you have no idea how many sandbaggers there are here! everyday it's the same thing. Their bullet rating is similar to or lower than mine (now 1500 but in the 1400s generally) but then they beat me in seconds. I look at their profiles after the dame and see they have 2000 or 1800 in classical or other. A difference of 200-250 is okay between classical and bullet, but can you really believe that someone who has a 1950 blitz rating will have a 1320 in bullet?
Why would anyone do that?
I cannot imagine why a 2000 player would want a u1500 trophy on their profile.
Looks like some people just like winning trophies. :(
Yeah, I know. I even studied how a player acted. I checked his previous games; he'd win a tournament or come up on second place, then he'd lose tons of games on purpose to lose rating points. I say on purpose because he would open every game with f4 or f6 and move the king to the other side of the board until he got mated. Once he was under1500 again (blitz) he'd join a tournament and win. Rinse and repeat. I reported him twice and lichess banned the account thank god. However this player may have created other accounts since only for that purpose.
#6 Yeah, I don't get it... Lichess will do the best they possibly can, but proving that all opponents are always playing their best is a hard problem.
Perhaps use a player's history for determining their effective rating (to determine if they can play in Uxxxx tournaments)?
Something like:
max( current_rating , max_rating_in_last_2_months - 100 , max_rating_in_last_6_months - 200 )
Something like that could reduce boosters and sandbaggers, or at least make them easier to detect.
On the other hand, I don't want to punish anyone for having a lucky winning streak against strong players that raises their rating a lot.
I believe the OTB federations have somewhat similar systems, sometimes giving players a permanent ban from Uxxxx tournaments if they win one.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.