lichess.org
Donate

Why are so many coaches related below 2000?

I have seen a lot of forums with U2000 players offering coaching services, how is it that coaches can actually charge money despite being rated below 2000? I would get free sparring, but a U2000 player generally doesn't know much about the game, so what can they do to actually coach a player better than free videos could? No disrespect intended, if you're a U2000 coach, I'd actually be especially thankful and interested in hearing from you.
<Comment deleted by user>
@ballsmaster69 I agree with you. I am 2100-2200 and I still don't feel like I know much about the game. IMO, coaches should be at least 2200 solid, and also at least 200-300 points above their students.
I don't mean to say that I have a problem playing training games with sub 1500 players. I do it all the time, but as a serious coach that seems a bit presumptive at my level.
#3 I feel like I could probably give some sort of useful advice to a player who's 300 points or so lower rated than me, but I'd feel a bit cheeky setting myself up as a coach and charging them money for my services when there are a lot of stronger players than me out there who they could work with instead.
You are in a mistake, being a good player and having a high ELO does not mean that he is a good coach. If you want a good coach, look at the results of his students, what degrees they obtained when they were his students and how long they worked with him.
I have known coaches who did not have Elo and their students won medals in international tournaments and on the other hand, high Elo coaches and even with MI and GM titles and their students did not get good results. Remember, the good coach does not look for students, the students look for him.
@TheKingClash said in #3:
> Players rated under 2000 but above 1800 can still be effective coaches for players below 1500. Ideally a coach should be more than 300 points higher rated than the person being coached.

Yes,@TheKingClash,your right.
For Rating U2000 or 1800 can still be effective coaches.They can maybe coach for Beginner students.For rating above 1800 player...they know chess tactics very much.

*Remember the word:
‘‘ The best coach may not necessarily be the best play.’’

Thank you
i'm ~1700 and have done coaching sessions, but that's just to kids who I've taught to play the game, as well as basic tactics and openings. my strongest student was ~1200 or so, and i just taught them some basic stuff. i charged 15 dollars an hour. i also work well with kids, and could make it fun and enjoyable, so they want to learn more.
I guess they also use circa year 2000 chess engines to analyze their games.
Fide 2000 or online 2200-2300 blitz/rapid is minimum standard as good coach.

Every chess player has certain percentaget in wrong assessment of chess ( including highest rated engines). More lower rated players usually have more higher percentage in wrong assessment of game.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.