lichess.org
Donate

Why are 800-1000 players here five times harder to beat than 1200-1400?

They seem to all know every opening line, play ridiculous risky things and get away with it, punish every little mistake, and play so fast that your clock is always run down. It's not just subjective - my win % is way higher at higher levels. The games feel different at the lower bracket - brutal and hopeless, even when I've got a winning advantage, it's impossible to convert. What's going on here?

I don't understand why they don't advance and have higher elo....
@Rogue_Zamboni Maybe you got a bunch of new players (that start with an initial rating of 1500) who only had a few ratings in between 1200-1400 still.
No, I check. That's not what's going on. These accounts are not glicko "?", they generally have long histories, and the elo seems to be mean-reverting, with higher than normal variance (hard to eyeball that last thing, but it seems almost certainly true....)

The games at that level just feel nuts/weird. Maybe I need to learn how to defend against wild / premature attacks. When I do the computer analysis it's often a lot of "one good move" scenarios or stuff that seems subtle and I don't understand why the best moves are best / defenses work... any suggestions for that?
I love how I get downvoted here for asking for study advice. Is there some other place I should do that, Mr. Whoeverthatwas?
Perhaps you play more aggressively against the lower rated players and get punished for it
I did not have that feeling, mostly games what I lost in that rating range is because they cheated in Simuls (because I do not played with that rating range), but when I played blitz maybe I lost more rating points to players 2200-2400, then 2400-2500, brain unconsciously think I do not need to play with full power but I can to relax little bit, when I am playing with 2700+ or GM I will try to play with full power.
If you are trying to beat your opponents with bad moves (maybe my opponent will blunder peace or mate in 1 or moves), instead of playing normal game you will be in trouble even if you play against worse rating players.
I want to help skeptics who are not inclined to trust players with a low rating, and save them time. I did some research using statistics from the author's profile.

I went to the advanced game search on the profile page. I filtered games there by rating 800-1200 and 1200-1400. The statistics are approximate, because it filters the range by the average rating of both players, not just the rating of the opponents. The author has 14 victories in 43 games in the 1200-1400 range, including his own and others' calibration games. The author has 22 wins out of 71 games in the range of 800-1200 average rating of both players.
His win rate in the 1200-1400 range is 32.5%. His win rate in the 800-1200 range is 31%.

Perhaps someone will be interested in this information and he will analyze his own games for different rating ranges.
My answer does not aim to somehow belittle the words of the author. Perhaps the author simply shares his impressions and likes to share his opinion with others.
Uh, those aren't the ranges I gave, and the averaging makes your "statistics" totally invalid, (esp. because I noticed this effect /on a downslide/).

And it has nothing to do with "trust", what are you even talking about? I'm having trouble defending against the certainly-different style of play at this level (it's not just unsound/early attacks that have presumably intentionally tricky followups but that's a big part of it).

Look, I don't want to debate the statistics here / "is this effect real". It's real, I'm sure it's real, I play OTB also and I've never encountered games like these. Does anyone have tips on countering the sort of wild tactical stuff that goes on t this level (feel free to play some games from this pool and you'll quickly see what I'm talking about!)
@Autofill said in #6:
> Perhaps you play more aggressively against the lower rated players and get punished for it

Maybe more aggressively, or maybe more passively. I know I sometimes take much lower rated players too lightly and have paid the price more than a few times. Also, a couple of them did have their accounts closed for TOS violations so there is that...

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.