lichess.org

What are the typical plans to defeat players rated from 1800 - 2500 in lichess ?

Make less mistakes than them lol. You can cheese wins with traps in fast games but there really is no easy path to victory in classical. Thakfully by the precepts of Steintz those tiny positional mistakes do matter and can be used to your advantage, ultimately to win.

I'd say, know a lot of openings, this might make a whole world of difference.
I can't say much, but I can say, go for a draw if you're not that aggressive of a player, then if they make a mistake then punish them accordingly.

On the last note, Bullet or Blitz Players will have a good time knowing about gambits.

I don't think a good plan depends at all on the rating, but rather on the position. There are so many different positions, ideas and variations in chess that it's pretty much impossible to come up with a universal plan that will win you every game. In order to come up with a plan:
1) identify your opponent's weaknesses and strengths
2) identify your own weaknesses and strengths
3) look for your opponents threats
4) look for your own attacking ideas
5) think of candidate moves either for defending and/or attacking
6) calculate
7) make a mistake in your calculations and blunder the game

The answer is not "wait for them to make a mistake", "make less mistakes than them" or anything similiar, the answer is "make them make mistakes".

Go for the uncommon openings and positions.

Grand Prixx attack works for 1800-2200 era depending on my observations however I was never able to perform it smoothly because I did not study it at all.

I've played King's Gambit around five times or so, (I was trying to discover the ideas) and when I analized my games I saw that people do mistakes while playing against the King's Gambit more than others however I wasn't able to punish them

I'm not telling you to study or memorize the openings, (because I don't do it either) but watch a couple of videos and understand the positions, ideas and possible strategies in uncommon openings

Once a 1600 rated guy played Bird's opening against me and wrecked me off, in the meantime I was rated around 1770

@SD_2709 yeah. Thats true. And that is chess: How to get the opponent to make a mistake/blunder. There is no receipt. If i knew, i would be able to beat magnus. Lol.

But here some points:
1. pattern recognition to use the tactics behind it.
2. get a plan to achieve an positional advantage
3. understand the board so you are able to do the 1. and 2. points.

And higher the rating more deep you need to go in the calculation/understanding for the three points mentioned.

All the best

@magicsacrifblunder said in #15:
> @SD_2709 yeah. Thats true. And that is chess: How to get the opponent to make a mistake/blunder. There is no receipt. If i knew, i would be able to beat magnus. Lol.
>
> But here some points:
> 1. pattern recognition to use the tactics behind it.
> 2. get a plan to achieve an positional advantage
> 3. understand the board so you are able to do the 1. and 2. points.
>
> And higher the rating more deep you need to go in the calculation/understanding for the three points mentioned.
>
> All the best
I got the first one. How do I 'understand' the board? In the middle game and the endgame I tend to play random moves without a plan. How do I make a plan? Added to that I also have a weak endgame.

Till 2000 don't make mistakes and wait for them to, after that think for atleast the next 6 moves before moving, againt carlsen resign

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.

Reconnecting