lichess.org
Donate

Next Barrier after 1600

I have reached 1600 rating recently and it almost took me a month to climb 100 points so can anyone who has the experience of going 1700 from 1600 tell me which is the next barrier and how to overcome it? As I overcame 1580 barrier by learning opening lines so I have to climb up fast to 1700 in max 10 days so pls tell me how to I don’t wanna get stuck for a month or two , So if anyone can help pls help
Focus to your FIDE rating, not your online rating.
@gravija said in #3:
> Focus to your FIDE rating, not your online rating.
No, neither online nor FIDE. Rating is just relative and it can't tell how strong a player is.
Chess is game of skill not rating.
For example, can you guarantee a 2500 to win against 1700 in same rating system?
the 1900-2000 barrier was a tough one... but i remember going down to 18-1700 and then after i finally got the consistency i remember just blowing through the low 2000's and here id say it took me a couple years to break through and it will probably take another 2 years to break through the 2200-2300 .. make small adjustments and really play through old games and learn tactics.... you should also have a few opening surprises for your opponent that your comfortable playing... try and keep each game fresh, be creative .... good luck and have fun
@Namithechamp said in #1:
> I have reached 1600 rating recently and it almost took me a month to climb 100 points so can anyone who has the experience of going 1700 from 1600 tell me which is the next barrier and how to overcome it? As I overcame 1580 barrier by learning opening lines so I have to climb up fast to 1700 in max 10 days so pls tell me how to I don’t wanna get stuck for a month or two , So if anyone can help pls help

Strangely, I remember asking a similar question in these very same forums - you can probably find it in my forum post history if you look on my profile.

Now I am over 1900 in rapid rating, and I'm not quite sure how it happened. I basically just learned more opening theory and did more puzzles. I noticed that I'd hit new milestones in my puzzle rating, and previous milestones that I thought were difficult or amazing felt easier, like I'd never drop below them again.

In short:

1) Train puzzles consistently. At least 3 times a week load up some Lichess puzzles and focus. Solve them in your head first before playing out your moves.

2) Learn opening theory.

3) Watch YouTube videos - e.g. Daniel Naroditsky's rating climb series are good.

4) In the openings you're studying, look at games played by top players like Carlsen.

5) Read books on middle game plans and end games. (I have yet to do this, but I'm sure it would add another 100-200 points to my rating within 1-2 years if I studied it consistently).
@gravija said in #3:
> Focus to your FIDE rating, not your online rating.
I don’t have a Fide rating till now I will try it when I have 2000 online rating

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.