lichess.org
Donate

New FIDE rules as of 2018: the first illegal move won‘t lose in Blitz/Rapid

I don‘t want to bother you with all the minor unimportant changes. I just want to point out that illegal move=loss is no longer valid. It‘s the second one which loses, there’s a bonus of 1min intended for the opponent according to the new rules (for the first illegal move).

It is now the same playing classic, blitz or rapid. But this change came as a surprise even for some FIDE staff members.

Drawback: not entirely clear what happens if one player ignores the illegal move and plays on „legally“ (see MC-EI)
Illegal move before or after pressing the clock? Which is it?
It's good to add some time in blitz to you if your opponent made an illegal move. I like that!
1st illegal move and pressing the clock („completing“) won‘t lose - provided the new rules as of 2018 are used.

PS: not sure if „they“ keep it forever... practical issues like adjusting clocks during a tournament and stuff like this.
I don't like this new rule - it's so much simpler to just make illegal moves losing. This creates to many ambiguous situations.

For instance - let's say I put my opponent in check. My opponent doesn't see that they are in check, so they play some move that fails to get them out of check (an illegal move). I could claim the illegal move and get some time added to my clock - OR, I could ignore his illegal move, and just check him with another piece, creating a situation that is impossible to create on the board by any legal series of moves.

I think it's a little ridiculous that when someone makes an illegal move, now it's not always in their opponents best interest to claim it.
#5, he can parry the second one. The first one stands waiting to be claimed and rewarded with 1min.

In case of doubt, hosts are advised to proclaim the old rules before the tournament. Case closed.

If I understand correctly you get 2 mins in rapid and 1 min in blitz if your opponent makes an illegal move? Is that the only game-changing rule? I was looking at other changes and they seem like they are the same just adjusted to this new rule that 1. illegal move doesn't lost.
I don't get why they complicate things. Blitz and Rapid are also about the drama.
This is nonsense. Your first illegal move can practically win the game. Adding 1 min to opponent's clock won't matter if you are winning.

OP should share a source because this is just illogical...
Sources? Illogical? It‘s the FIDE!

#13, re-read your posting/the whole thread in respect to nonsense. It says: new rules which means: new rules. Thank you.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.