lichess.org
Donate

I have a 90+30 tournament upcoming in a week - opening repertoire questoin

I have a 90+30 tournament coming up in a week.Recently I've started to implement at online blitz the opening Benko Gambit as well as Blumenfeld against d4 and I found it quite good. Also, GM Smirnov recommends this opening in his course. My question is, may i use this opening even in standard time control tounament against d4 even against GMs, or should I stick to more solid and calm opening like queen's gambit, or nimzo or queen's indian, or even bogo indian?
<Comment deleted by user>
Of course you can play it. What opening you play does not really matter, it is how you play after that. Play whatever you feel comfortable about.
@Razer531 since you're 1650 in classical, i dont think you get any chance against a GM or even a 2000+ elo fide.

I think the most important in this tournament is to enjoy it !
Have fun, meet new people, discuss about chess with other players will help you a lot.

Regarding the openner you gonna play, i would suggest to play something you're comfortable with : against 1.d4 2.c4, i usually play the Benoni or the Benko Gambit but not because those are strong openners but just because i like to play them and i feel comfortable with.

Good luck for your tournament and have fun !!!
@NOTFOXAnonymous Thanks for all the wishes!

To be honest, I am not really playing classical on lichess(although I should) - haven't played for long time. My current FIDE std rating is 1801. So yeah, I know that I don't stand a chance against a GM, but I think that because I haven't played a lot of FIDE games(I actually got the rating only in January 2017 and barely played maybe 20 games from then) and because I have studied a lot of chess material and am feeling good progress, that maybe I can play on a higher level than my rating.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.