lichess.org
Donate

A practice plan for a 1700 USCF rated player.

Hi, I am 1700 USCF rated and I am looking for a practice plan. If anyone has one they can share that would be great.

Thanks
<Comment deleted by user>
To improve you do need to learn and practice many chess principles, like a lot.
There is no real path to reach the goal, as the prerequisites are only the basics, so you could start wherever you want. The question is what do you have to study, the question is what are you going to learn next.

Now with the "what" out of the way, the only advice is the "how", its just 1 simple thing that loops.

Learn something you dont know/ are not good at it, improve it to a decent level, apply it to your games.

Dont practice what you already know. It yields diminished returns.
Ok i've probably got the level of a 1600F (around 1550 USCF) and I don't really have the right to talk but What I've seen when playing 1800F is that they tend to be very good with tactical motives and have a concrete which they aim to achieve. In order to find a good plan you need to know some basic strategical knowledge of course and have a very good tactical vision. Learning opening lines and doing preps is definetely very important and basic endgame knowledge will come in handy as around 1/3 of chess games reach the endgame.
Elsk
Hey Nh31-O! I've been tutoring chess for 2 years now and I would be happy to help you work out a plan for you to improve. Let me know if you're interested :)
Coach is not always a good option. Though thy guide but you improve a lot on your own if you study chess.
There appear to be about a million of em out there, and some of em even sound like they know what they're talking about ...

How much is your time worth ?

And then on the other hand, it's still possible to have a lot of fun playing chess even when you stay terrible.

Trust me ...
Do like I did. Buy 300+ chess books, read a few pages, play a ton of bullet chess online, get discouraged and sell them all on the net. Then just play thousands of games on the net and give up on trying to learn chess.
So much depends on your age, time availability, resources, and motivation. You can learn a lot on your own with self discipline and being honest with yourself. I agree with the idea of focusing on your weak area(s) until they are your strengths and then refocus to your new weak area(s). However not many put in dedicated effort and/or are honest with themselves on their weaknesses- and once in awhile you may be blind to something.

I don’t think the rating is as important once you are no longer a beginner in terms of study agenda’s so much as being diligent and honest with your needs to improve- be that tactics, endgame, openings or some other element. It’s not as simple as “read Xyz book” or “you are X rating, master Zxy idea to get to Y rating then master xyz to get to Z rating”. It’s much more individualistic to me and methods may work better for some abs be terrible for another.

As a 1600 USCF player with limited time and resources presently my aim is to set aside some limited time weekly and make it count. Which is why I’m looking to hire a coach who can help keep me focused and accountable on the right things in my self study time and avoid wasting time focusing on the wrong things. In the past my biggest gains in chess understanding have been when I’ve had a coach. Not saying everyone should get one, but if you find yourself lost in how to progress your chess, even a few coaching sessions could give you the necessary insight into moving forward. Just a thought..,

-Jordan

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.