lichess.org
Donate

Year Of 2020

As the pandemic drove people indoors, year of 2020 was big for both chess and variants. Let us revise what shenanigans last year served for us in The House and the Variant Worlds:

● Both the Discord server and Lichess team grew a lot and broke the barrier of 2,000 members. As of today, Discord has 2,494 and Lichess team has 2,448 members.
● We won the Season 2020 of Lichess Bundesliga ahead of over 400 other teams. The new season started on Sunday, January 3rd, 2021.
● A dozen of variant puzzle battles were hosted in #puzzle-battle by the community. Most active host was @RoyalManiac.
● We hosted House Multi-Variant Championship (HMVC), which included all variants from lichess. The Championship featured 56 variant enthusiasts, and the Final Four was won by @penguingm1 ahead of @VariantsOnly, @gsvc and @lecw.
● Various variant championships were organized: Atomic World Championship (AWC), Racing Kings World Championship (RKWC), Horde World Championship (HWC), Bughouse World Championship (BWC), and Crazyhouse World Championship (CWC) all finished during last year. Antichess World Championship (ACWC) and Three-Check World Championship are still going on.
● Other numerous variant leagues and tournaments were played, such as Grand Prix Variant Tournament, Crazyhouse Team League, Atomic Chess League, Atomic 960 tournaments, and Lichess Antichess League.
● Lichess added official Antichess and Atomic tournaments: lichess.org/tournament.
Chess.com introduced Atomic and a bunch of chess-like variants to their site: www.chess.com/variants.
● New fun variant site, fishrandom.io/, was launched.

Happy New Year 🎆 and may 2021 be even better! 🎉
Watching @Hysterix play in Winter Marathon was pretty sweet. CWC finals between Jasugi and opper commentated by Yasser & co. was close second.
I loved 2020, as I got to play over 27k games on lichess. I developed a liking for ultrabullet and correspondence, both extreme time controls. I also started playing a bit of crazyhouse and my passion for the ZH variant increased after following the CWC 2020. Loved the variants community and the lichess' sister websites too.

Played about 1k games on pychess in 30+ variants, and about 100 games on vchess in 50+ variants. I loved that lishogi is being developed now, and looking forward to playing more games on lishogi in the year 2021.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.